The Heart of America Shakespeare Festival is thrilled to #sharethelove by offering the Kansas City premiere of Shakespeare in Love to our community. With our LARGEST cast to date, including many new faces, Shakespeare in Love includes scenes from the play Romeo and Juliet, and also the world of the Elizabethan theatre – a great way to make Shakespeare’s play more accessible to a modern audience. Make your plans now to be part of the fun!
Whether you’ve been with us from the very beginning or will be joining us in Southmoreland Park for the first time, here’s what you should KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- We are running an additional week. This year’s production of Shakespeare in Love runs June 11 – July 7, 2019 Tuesdays – Sundays. No show July 4. Show Monday, July 1. We don’t recommend waiting until the last week to finally see the show… Come early. Come often. Come back!
- We can now take online seating reservations. On a busy night toward the end of the summer, up to 2,000 patrons can walk through Southmoreland Park’s front gates. While seating is free and open to the public, all spots in the lawn are first-come, first-served. Rather than waiting in line for the gates to open right at 6:00 p.m., order a reserved seat or blanket spot before the show. We’ll have your chair or spot ready and waiting for you whenever you walk into the gate. Chairs and blanket spots are $25 Sundays – Thursdays and $35 Fridays and Saturdays. To reserve seating close the Festival stage online, click HERE.
- 20 for $20! Join us with your group during the first week of the Festival (June 11 – June 15, 2019 ONLY) and receive a discount code for $20 reserved up-front seats or blankets for your group of 20 or more.
- Enjoy preshow activities before the main event. Catch the Shakespeare Parody at 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 pm. Show Talk starts at 7:00 p.m. This year’s production of Shakespeare in Love will begin at 8:00 p.m. Gates will still open at 6:00 p.m., so make sure you’re in line when the park opens to grab your favorite spot on the lawn.
- We have a new food vendor. There are lots of delicious food and drink items available for purchase. Roots KC will serve up grilled favorites, like hot dogs and hamburgers, alongside some British Isle inspired dishes, including sausages and Cornish Pasties. We’ll also have vegetarian options, wine, and beer for you to make a picnic all your own in the park. If you’re over 21, get an adult beverage from Embrace the Grape. Indulge in a delicious shaved ice at intermission. And of course, it wouldn’t be the Festival without kettle corn. The Festival accepts both cash and cards in the park, and all vendors will be open through intermission. You can carry in a cooler from your car but it’s a lot easier to carry the food to your seat from our on-site vendors!
Shakespeare in Love runs June 11 – July 7, Tuesdays through Sundays in Southmoreland Park. No show July 4. Show Monday, July 1. Gates open at 6:00 p.m. Showtime is 8:00 p.m. For more information, visit www.kcshakes.org
For updates and behind-the-scenes photos, follow the Festival on Instagram and Twitter @kcshakes