The 2018 National Convention of the American Guild of Organists, held in Kansas City, will feature five distinctive worship services throughout the July 2-6 event.
- Opening Celebration, Helzberg Hall, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
- Bach Vespers, Visitation Catholic Church, Kansas City, MO
- Compline: Contemplative Night Prayer, Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Kansas City, MO
- Hymn Festival, Helzberg Hall
- Arts Service, Atonement Lutheran Church, Overland Park, KS
While several of these services will feature some of Kansas City’s finest organists, organs, and choirs, the July 4 Hymn Festival will be conducted by Anton Armstrong of St. Olaf College. Tom Trenney, of Linco
ln, Nebraska, will lead from the organ bench.
The service, entitled “The Peaceable Kingdom,” will be divided into seven sections: Sing Praise, Sing Care, Sing Welcome, Sing Justice, Sing Freedom, Sing Hope, Sing Peace. A new hymn text by Dr. Mary Louise (Mel) Bringle of Brevard College, entitled God’s Dream is Like A Haunting Song, will be featured.
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit agokc2018.com.
–Dr. Sarah Lyons, Promotions Chair