The Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art at Johnson County Community College is hosting Cultura Fest, a festival created in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, on Oct. 14 from noon to 6 p.m. Enjoy food trucks, live mural painting, workshops, lowriders, lucha libre y más at this free, family-friendly event!
Noon to 3 p.m. – Art Workshops
Interested in offering a workshop that is up to 40 minutes long? Complete this proposal form. All selected workshops will receive a $250 stipend. Proposals are due by October 1. Final line up of workshops will be announced on the Nerman Museum website prior to the event.
Noon to 4 p.m.
- Live Mural Painting by Andrew Mcilvaine, DinKC, and It-Ra Icons
- Print Making by Viva La Tinta
- Crafts with the Nerman Museum
Noon to 6 p.m.
- Food Trucks (Taqueria La India, Pink Taco, JCCC Catering, and Paletas provided by JCCC Student Club LUNA)
- Lowrider Car and Bike Showcase – Selections by the Olathe Leadership Lowrider Bike Club*
- 12:30 p.m. – Los Bailadores de KC
- 1 p.m. – Jessica Ayala
- 1:30 p.m. – SouLuna (15-minute break at 2:15 p.m.)
- 3 p.m. – Grupo Folklorico Alma Tapatía
- 4 p.m. – Lucha Libre by Kansas City Xtreme Wrestling
*This showcase will include lowrider cars created by local artists selected by the Olathe Leadership Lowrider Bike Club, as well as lowrider bikes created by Olathe School District students. The lowrider bikes will be in competition for best-in-show prizes, including scholarships to JCCC.
ABOUT THE NERMAN MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART
The Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art at Johnson County Community College (JCCC) serves as a cultural leader, facilitating deeper understanding of our world and contemporary issues through their exhibitions and permanent collection. The collection focuses on international, national, and regional contemporary artists, with an emphasis on diverse practitioners and educational access. In addition to gallery spaces within the Nerman Museum, over 300 works from the collection are installed across campus, integrating art into the daily lives of the JCCC campus community as well as greater Kansas City area residents and visitors.
The Nerman Museum is located on the JCCC campus at 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS. It is open to the public on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and on Sundays, from noon to 5 p.m. Admission is free. For more information about the museum, call 913-469-3000 or visit nermanmuseum.org.